Saturday 12 January 2008

Strings & Roots...

I don't know if you've noticed it or not - I've avoided posting any Iraqi music so far.
Iraqi music touches me deeply. My own little way of protecting myself, I guess...

Some of you may know this, some may not, but the man who introduced the Luth or Oud (which developed into the guitar) to Europe, in the 10th Century, was named Zeryab and he was originally from Mosul.

Thanks to the Iraqi Zeryab, string instruments were further developed in the Western musical repertoire...

So in hommage to Zeryab, I shall post this beautiful duet by the Iraqi Omar Bashir and another Iraqi friend. An improvisation done in Sevilla, Spain, a testimony to Zeryab.

For those of you who don't know Omar Bashir - he is the son of the most famous Oud player in the 20th Century, unfortunately now gone, Munir Bashir.

Enjoy the strings and the roots...