Monday 24 August 2009

Tears & Pieces...

- Mamma, can you sow this for me please?

- Layla, for God's sake, what is this and what are all those tears ? this thing is in pieces...

- It's my old caftan.

- Well I can see that, how old is it ?

- About 20 years.

- I can't believe you brought this with you.

- Why not, I love it.

- What is it you love about it ??? It's torn apart, has holes, and is discolored.

- Yes I know, but I love it.

- I can't believe you've kept it for 20 years, honestly!!! You have much nicer caftans to wear. What about aunt Nidal's present from Medina - now that's a nice one...give this to me, I need some dusting cloths. It's in tatters anyway.

- NO! I like this caftan and am keeping it. Besides am not wearing it in public...

- Layla, it's torn apart, can't you see ?!

- Yumma, are you going to fix it or not ?

- How can I fix it, the fabric is finished, too old ya bintee...and where did you get it from anyway?

- Baba brought it back for me from Morocco. Remember when he went to Morocco ?

- Ya bintee, that was over 20 years ago, I can't believe you've kept it.

- So are you going to try and mend it for me or not ?

- Wallah you are wasting my time, but I will try...

- Thank you Yumma. I knew you would.