Tuesday 26 May 2009

Scents & Petals...


What a pleasant day...As am typing, the windows are wide open, the mosquitoes are bugging the hell out of me, and the smell of Jasmin fills the room...

Today was a peculiar day of scents and petals...Jasmin is the closing chapter for tonight. But this morning, I smelled some perfume as I woke up, it was not mine for sure...and that smell did not leave me all day...

Then I went out for some errands, and I usually pass by this florist shop...I never took much notice of , since this is not the florist I usually buy my flowers from...but today I noticed not only the fragrance of flowers coming from the shop, but also hundreds of petals at the entrance, covering parts of the pavement.

I had seen those petals before, but had not paid much attention...I thought --yes that's pretty...But today they looked different...or I looked differently at them.

It turns out that this florist, instead of throwing away the wilted flowers, picks their petals and places them in front of his shop, as a welcoming mat...a welcoming carpet of rose petals...

Beautiful in its simplicity, don't you agree ?


Painting : Iraqi female artist, Hayat Jamil Hafidh.