My mother, God bless her, has this very annoying habit of leaving the lights on even though she's not using that particular room at that particular time.
This is almost always a cause for an argument. Of course, I am the one who starts it.
- Yumma (mom in Iraqi), you've left the lights on again !
- Ohoo, stop nagging me
- Think electricity bills
- Ohoo, Layla, "mat juzeen" - you never cease...
- Okay, think that you are contributing to global warming. Do you want to be an extra cause for global warming ?
- Global warming ! You are worried about global warming, when they burned us alive!
Obviously the money and ecological twists have failed...
- Okay, think about your brothers and sisters, they only get 2 hours of electricity a day, no running water and it's 50 C.
That kind of does the trick.
- Tayyeb, tayyeb, I will switch it off, ohoo...
6 years down the line and Baghdad still has no electricity.
The "opposition" which is now the current puppet mafia ruling Iraq, used to claim that the "dictatorship" was deliberately cutting electrical output to oppress the Iraqi people.
Of course, the current ruling mafia cannot explain why there is less electricity today in the "free" Iraq than during sanction times where one could not even find a light bulb to buy...
One thing is for sure, occupied Baghdad is not contributing to global warming with excessive electrical consumption. Nor is it contributing to global water shortages and desertification, since there is no water...
Now that's a thought for the "Green movement" to ponder upon.