Monday 14 January 2008

Normal ?


I don't feel terribly sleepy and am in a writing mood...

I am not sure what is causing my insomnia though.

I think having seen so much, so far...and having witnessed so much, this bulimia of experiences might be robbing me of my sleep.

I am still having difficulty reconciling what I know, or experienced and leading a "normal" life...

I have come to the firm conclusion that those who are capable of leading a "normal" life, have not experienced it...Have not experienced life.

Life is not normal, and people are not normal either...


What people brand as normal is what they are familiar with...Very simple.


People are funny creatures...They are very simple and very complex at the same time...but overall, they are predictable.

Maybe that explains why I get so easily bored...I can already anticipate what will be said next, or what will be acted out next. Predictability is a give away.

Even in the most sophisticated of ploys, you can find predictability. No wonder boredom creeps in...

I think I have spent a whole life time observing...That is my nature. I observe and I listen...

I've done this observing and listening since a very young age, hence I have developed this uncanny ability to decipher, read between the lines, guess and predict what comes next...

Observing and listening to people is akin to studying them continously...with no respite. Surely, after a while, one becomes an expert of some sort.

Therefore, I have no illusions about people and individuals...even though sometimes, one hopes, wishes for the surprise element...

9 times out of 10, none is forthcoming.

I am very well aware, that does not necessarily make me the easiest person to get on with...
But if I play along, and pretend to not know when I do, then am considered a piece of cake...But they know not.

It is quite difficult, striking this balance between being "yourself" and playing along...

And even then the predictability of it all, makes it so tedious...

But the pay off is, you are considered "normal", because you led people to believe so.

Normal, the norm...It sums it all up.


Painting: Iraqi female artist, Yaqeen Al-Dulaimi.